Author Topic: Crop Circle questions  (Read 4513 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Crop Circle questions
« on: March 04, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »
The Mayor is the one that we have struggled with the most to categorize. We've had to decide that in order for a follower to collect points for a feature he must have a "quantum" in the feature. The Mayor only has a quantum value when coupled with a pennant. All other followers carry their quantum with them. The Mayor is not able to score in any other feature but does provide a presence, and establishes ownership. For example, you cannot enter a city directly if a Mayor is already there. So there is difference between ownership and quantum. We allow the Mayor to cap a tower for example. On a Tower you don't need a quantum, just the presence of a follower - and the Mayor is a follower. He could be placed on a cloister, for example, but since he provides no quantum he would not be able to collect the points. He would block any other follower from being placed there though. The same could be said for a farm.

So when any rule says do one thing or another with a follower, for us, the Mayor, Wagon and Big Follower are included.

My wife bought me the collection of mini expansions.  I found this great post (above) by Carcking in the old forum, but I still have questions. 

1.  My son played the Crop Circle with a shield.  He said he wanted us to add a meeple to a city.  My wife ONLY had a mayor left and all of her cities already had knights.  Per rule, "It may only be deployed to a city in which there is currently no knight", leads me to believe that my wife doesn't have to play her Mayor in the city.  That seems like utter horsecrap as you can have a mayor and knight in the same city with "clever tile placement".

2.  If what Carcking said is true, a farm crop circle could force you to put a mayor, wagon, or Abbott on a farm.  Since the shepherd is not a follower, am I correct in assuming you can't force him up or down with a crop circle?  Or is he a follower in this instance like he is with the dragon?

3.  I don't have this, but in the halflings expansion there is a wild card crop circle.  Can you use that one to force meeple onto or off of a cloister?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2504.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Crop Circle questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
I believe there is some subtle wording in the rules, or certainly in the CAR anyway.

If the player who plays the crop circle determines that everyone else is to remove a follower from whichever feature type (city/ road/ farm) then they MUST do (if they have any on the board to remove). If decides that everyone else should add a follower to a feature type then they MAY do it. You can't be forced to add meeples in the same way as you are to remove.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
Ok thanks Dan!

I was looking at the v7.4PDF and it used the word "must". 

My son, who is anti-farmers, has so far loved forcing his mother and I to add farmers to our already owned fields which forces us to keep 2 meeple in reserve as opposed to one.  If placing the meeple is optional, removing a meeple from the farms will be his best play.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
In CAR v7.4 it clearly states on page 130 that removal is a must and adding a follower to the board is optional. This applies to all crop / corn tiles.

Hope this helps!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
I see it now. 

I had printed off 131 which says "When a player performs action A), he or she must deploy the follower to a feature
which already contains a follower of the same type (farmer to a farmer, thief to a
thief, knight to a knight)"

You don't have to do option "A" at all.  Got it.  Thanks!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
I see it now. 

I had printed off 131 which says "When a player performs action A), he or she must deploy the follower to a feature
which already contains a follower of the same type (farmer to a farmer, thief to a
thief, knight to a knight)"

You don't have to do option "A" at all.  Got it.  Thanks!

Think we've all been there. :D That's why I love when we get asked about rules so many of us can go back and read it again just to be sure!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Haflings II: The Crop Circle

Started by Darwin

26 Replies
Last post December 09, 2014, 01:11:19 PM
by Gerry
xx
Corn circle questions

Started by CovertOps

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2016, 08:59:54 PM