Author Topic: I love debt....  (Read 9159 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
I love debt....
« on: April 12, 2016, 04:17:34 AM »
Quote from: wamboyil
when I clicked on the "pay with PayPal" option, it would not let me do that (something about their website not being able to accept PayPal from other countries?). I changed my payment method to "bank transfer", and the order seemed to go through, but I have no idea how I am supposed to make the payment to them. I never received an order confirmation e-mail from them, and my e-mail to them has not been answered yet, after 5 days.

I'm in Maryland and Cundco orders take 10 days to get here.  It may take an extra day to get to you in Illinois, but it shouldn't be 3 weeks. 

Paypal is the only way I have done business with cundco and nostheide.de.  I have no idea why you got that message.  I can't speak to the bank transfer method.  It seems very popular with German Ebay sellers, but I have avoided it like the plague (until the plague went on sale).  I'm not sure what Europeans have against credit cards exactly, but Paypal is the way to go.  The site keeps great track of when the payment was made and who it went to so they can't say you didn't pay them. 

Possibly my favourite mini-expansion; not because of the mechanics, but the spacial boundaries it broke, it feels very different to any other expansion and generally simple to implement. I always thought the Blue Rose should have been the start tile.

I don't like the Blue Rose at all.  It doesn't really make sense and it rarely makes a difference.  If it comes out first, it basically becomes the start tile.  If it comes out last, it does nothing.  It is predicted that the poles will shift in our world someday.  The consequences of that go from bad to catastrophic.  When it happens in Carcassonne, the pig doesn't even fall over.   

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2613.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:28:30 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
Re: I love debt....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 04:25:10 AM »
I'm not sure what Europeans have against credit cards exactly

Trust me - we don't have anything against credit cards - but I know many people have a big downer on paying exorbitant fees (3½%+) for something that can otherwise usually be done for free - move money from one account to another (even over a border)
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 04:29:23 AM »

Trust me - we don't have anything against credit cards - but I know many people have a big downer on paying exorbitant fees (3½%+) for something that can otherwise usually be done for free - move money from one account to another (even over a border)

Got it.  For a lot of us though, the credit card exchange rate was better than what our banks gave us.  So it was a wash.  Now, I am not sure that is the case.  Also, our business just raise the rate of cash purchases to match that of credit card purchases so it doesn't matter which you use. 

Speaking of Europeans and credit cards.  There seems to be 2 classic mistakes Europeans make when they come to the US.  For whatever reason, some British folks think they can land in Washington DC and drive to Orlando Florida in 2 to 3 hours.  The other problem is purchasing gas (petrol).  Some don't know how to pay with cash and others try the credit card method and fail miserably.  The gas station credit card machines ask for your zipcode.  If you are a foreigner, make sure you google "gas station zip code foreign credit card" before visiting. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:32:43 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:32 AM »
Yes that never makes sense to me.  In the UK we put petrol into the car and then pay for what we've taken.  Over in the US you have to know how much you want to spend, pay for it and then take the petrol.  How on earth do you 'fill 'er up?'

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 04:34:14 AM »
Yes that never makes sense to me.  In the UK we put petrol into the car and then pay for what we've taken.  Over in the US you have to know how much you want to spend, pay for it and then take the petrol.  How on earth do you 'fill 'er up?'

2 ways.

1.  Use a credit card.
2.  Pay cash for more gas then is required, fill it up, and go back into the station to get your change.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 04:35:01 AM »
well that'll save me a few dollars next time I'm over here  :(y) :(y) ^-^

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:37:14 AM »

Last time I bought petrol it stopped on EXACTLY £40! #truestory #amazingbuttrue

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 04:38:57 AM »
In Sweden you only pay for the price given.
  Anything else, fees and such, is allowed, provided it is stated clearly / informed to customer before purchasing.

A good example is, banks in Sweden has added a fee for paying with your card (any type) having stores adding a small fee towards customer paying with cards. This fee has to be stated (usually on a sticker note next to the card machine) to make it legal.
  Today, though, this fee is not added, rather it's been integrating into the store's merchandise overall or, for the smaller stores, there is a minimum purchase of 5 Euro if paying using a card.

As for PayPal and credit cards, not sure it relate to this, but many stores now demand a verified credit card linked to your PayPal account in order to pay online, even if using PayPal funds.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:39:25 AM »

Last time I bought petrol it stopped on EXACTLY £40! #truestory #amazingbuttrue

Imagine if it would have stopped at 30! :D

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:40:55 AM »

But then he'd be thirsty for more!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:41:44 AM »

But then he'd be thirsty for more!

If I could fill up for £30 I'd have more money left to spend on Carcassonne. Never going to happen though...

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 04:51:02 AM »
Luckily I never had to rent a car in Europe.  I think my wallet would have cried.  We pay per gallon what you guys pay per liter (1 gallon = 3.79 liters).  The down side is our infrastructure is terrible.   I can't live without a car here or pretty much any US city with the exception of NYC. 

I didn't intend to make this the "I love the gas station" thread. 

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »

Was talking to a German colleague at work today - and there is a historic aversion to debt (even transient credit card debt) in Germany - http://qz.com/262595/why-germans-pay-cash-for-almost-everything/

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »

Was talking to a German colleague at work today - and there is a historic aversion to debt (even transient credit card debt) in Germany - http://qz.com/262595/why-germans-pay-cash-for-almost-everything/

Might have something to do with history, without deliberatly offending anyone, which is not my intension.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
Er, yeah - and also as the article linked points out - the words for debt & guilt are linked (in German)...  I suspect that predates the historic economic crises that the article writes of.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
HiG twitter - The Worms love Meeple-Apple

Started by kettlefish

0 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 12:45:10 PM
by kettlefish
question
I love Father Christmas