Author Topic: 2017 World Cup - Group C  (Read 24545 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
2017 World Cup - Group C
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
Welcome to the group stage of the 2017 World Cup of Carcassonne Central! This thread is primarily for members of Group C to arrange matches between themselves and post scores, screenshots and the obligatory smack-talk as the group progresses. The top 2 players from this group once everyone in the group has played all 5 of their matches will advance through to the knockout stage.

Here is a list of the group members (including location):

• danisthirty
  • jungleboy
  • monwil
  • ny1050220
  • Jéré
  • thodekey

If you haven’t read them already, please ensure that you are familiar with the tournament rules/ general information and our Code of Conduct. You may also find the JCloisterZone FAQ interesting/ useful if you have any unanswered questions about how JCloisterZone works (or you can just PM me).

Group stage expansions
All games at the group stage should include the following expansions:
  • Inns & Cathedrals
  • Besiegers
  • The Festival
  • The Phantom

Good luck! :) :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3650.0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:41:10 PM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 World Cup - Group C
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm free most weekday evenings starting from tomorrow. I can play weekends at a push but prefer not to if I can avoid it as these are usually reserved for family.

Looking forward to getting our group going (and being the first to finish)... ;)

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
I'm usually free 19:00-23:00 EST (5 hours behind the UK and 6 hours behind Belgium) on weekdays and all day on the weekends. I might be able to get away from work earlier in the day sometime next week, but I'm not sure at the point.
Also, I'll receive an automatic notification if someone posts here or sends me a PM. It usually works very well for me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:44:51 PM by ny1050220 »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »
Although I'm representing Mozambique (an impulse decision), I live in Portugal so I'm in the same time zone as the UK. Starting tomorrow, I should be  available quite often in the next few weeks, day or night.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:13:09 AM »
Dan and I are going to try to play tonight.

I'm usually free 19:00-23:00 EST (5 hours behind the UK and 6 hours behind Belgium) on weekdays and all day on the weekends.

Let's try to play this weekend then if you're free, as that will be easier than staying up until midnight on a weeknight.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 01:30:19 PM »
Danisthirty and I just played (I believe) the first game of the World Cup in any group in front of a packed stadium and a worldwide television audience in the billions.

Final score: jungleboy 179, danisthirty 169.

As always against Dan, this was a very tough game. After we traded some early points, Dan took control of the game about 1/3 of the way in by competing a 24-point inn road. He never trailed after that until final scoring.

The festival came into play quite a lot. Dan had used his big meeple to secure a 3-2 win in a central farm (21 points) that eventually became closed off. I then used two festival tiles to remove both my defeated meeples, and Dan eventually removed his big meeple (no longer necessary to win that farm) to try to add it to another farm late in the game.

In total, there were three key farms, all aided by multiple besieged cities. The besieger tiles came out early and established where the important farms were going to be. I blocked Dan out of a small but lucrative farm in the northeast (24 points), and on the same move, I started glomming on to the final key farm (33 points) in the north that he had claimed. I later added my big meeple to that farm too. When Dan tried to join his newly available big meeple onto it, I blocked him and then drew the FFRC tile he needed to complete his glom-on on my next turn! That was the key tile of the game.

The cathedrals didn't really come into play. They both got added to the same city, which was never completed and which we had tied up anyway.

Even though Dan maintained a 20-25 point lead throughout most of the game, I realised that if I won two of the three major farms, I still had a chance to win. I completed some roads and added another small farm with my last few tiles and that was enough to get me over the top in a tense and exciting game!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:28:34 PM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Great write-up from jungleboy!

As he said, I felt like I had control of the game once I'd finished my long road with inn and secured what was the main farm at that point of the game with my double meeple. I even closed it off to prevent JB from getting an additional farmer onto it, but sadly I'd jumped the gun. :-\

I was the first to claim the north farm which spread across the majority of the landscape, but JB soon equalised it, and I knew I was in trouble when he then got his double meeple onto the farm to take it outright. By this point he had abandoned my 21-point farm in the middle, reclaimed his farmers and put them to good use elsewhere, but I needed a Festival tile in order to reclaim my own double meeple and try to get it onto JB's farm, and they were all hiding from me. I finally managed to get it back with about 20 tiles to go, but JB had anticipated what I was going to do and was starting to close down all the best opportunities to steal onto his farm. So in the end I took a risk, and it didn't pay off as JB was able to block me with his very next tile. What was very frustrating though was that after making a CFFR gap in the space where I'd hoped to join the farm, JB drew a CFFR on his next turn! There was still a slim chance to join on the other side, but I couldn't make this happen with the remaining tiles I drew and played out the rest of the game in silence save for the occasional splash of tear into Pepsi Max... :'(

Well played dude. And good luck with the rest of the competition!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:47:54 AM »
Edited final score because of a farm scoring bug: jungleboy 182, danisthirty 169.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
ny1050220 and I have our game scheduled for Sunday - 10am his time (US EST), 3pm my time (UK/POR). Standing room only!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
jungleboy 259, ny1050220 156

This was a game where everything just seemed to go my way. Apart from the main farm (which we tied), I managed to win the other three main features that we really contested: cities worth 22 and 24 points, and an inn road worth 28 points. In all three cases ny had the majority at one point but I got the right tiles to attempt to glom on and then the right tiles again to join and eventually win the majority. I also completed two early cloisters and then just tried to keep the scoreboard ticking over in the second half of the game with some more cloisters and smaller cities. ny completed his city in the southeast at the death (although I had besieged it earlier) and no one was able to get a fifth meeple onto the main farm.

Thanks for the game!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 07:44:56 AM »
Thodekey and I have our game tonight.

I have also contacted monwil and Samool but they haven't replied yet.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
thodekey 163 - 123 jungleboy

There it was, my first game ever in the World Cup of Carcassonne Central.  After 2 already glorious victories of Jungleboy against Danisthirty and ny1050220, I knew it was going to be tough. My preparation wasn't ideal as I was walking all day like a zombie at work because I had a very fun but almost sleepless weekend in the Ardennes: I was organizing a weekend in a cottage with 7 candidates similar to what some people may know from TV as "The Mole" with lots of games, tasks, elimination tests....but hardly any sleep...Anyway, I couldn't postpone my opening game in WCCC any longer.  But why I'm telling this...just to apologize if the following report is a bit garbled...

Jungleboy scored some small cities in the start and laid down his first farmer rather fast.  I had the feeling we both went for one big farm so I tried to follow his example.  When I drew the first cathedral tile, I started a city in the east but Jungleboy attempted to take over business with a small and a big meeple while I already had a lot of meeples on the board with unfinished business. 
When a had a festival tile, I withdrew my meeple and tried to block the now rather big city or at least limit the possibilities of completing it. 

Meanwhile, Jungleboy started a second cathedral city in the west, which I couldn't block and gave him a 20-points scoring lead.
Then, I knew my chances to win the game would depend on me taking over the main farm and hoping that Jungleboy couldn't complete the big city in the east...I was lucky:
- I drew almost every Festival tile so Jungleboy could never remove his big meeple.  In the meantime, I succeeded in joining my big meeple to the main farm and thus, taking over business.
- luck was even more on my side as I drew as well that one tile Jungleboy needed to complete that city with a cathedral.
Jungleboy played his last card in the end, trying to tie the farm with one of his last two meeples but I succeeded in keeping the first one out.  He used his last meeple in an unclaimed farm, which gave him still 15 points reducing the scoring difference.

Needless to say it was an exhausting game with luck on my side.  Soory for that, Jungleboy, but I'm pretty sure we will see more of you in the knockout-stage...anyway, good luck in the rest of the competition!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
Well played thodekey! I led for most of the game but I was unable to complete the larger cathedral city or remove my large meeple from it and in the end I didn't have enough meeples left to challenge for the big farm. thodekey used the festival tiles well to remove blocked or outnumbered meeples and redeploy them in the farm.

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
I still can't get it to work :((((( sorry

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 12:14:51 AM »
I still can't get it to work :((((( sorry

Samuel do you have Java 7 or higher installed?
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 World Cup - Group A

Started by MrNumbers

62 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 04:49:48 AM
by TheSteveAllen
xx
2017 World Cup - Group B

Started by MrNumbers

59 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 04:50:28 AM