Author Topic: UK Carcassonne Championships 2019  (Read 11742 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
UK Carcassonne Championships 2019
« on: June 05, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
For those who didn't already know, last Saturday I travelled up to Birmingham to the UK Games Expo to participate in the UK Carcassonne championships.

For the first time, the UK's annual Carcassonne championships were based purely on a head-to-head/ 2-player format rather than on a mixture of 4-player games followed by a 4/ 8/ 16 player head-to-head knockout as has been seen in previous years. It followed a Swiss-style scoring format which meant that players were drawn against other players with a similar win/loss ratio, but no player should play the same opponent more than once. For most of the afternoon and early evening there were a total of 36 participants playing new-art Carcassonne with zero expansions (no river, no abbots, nothing else) simultaneously across 18 tables, along with umpires from Mind Sports Olympiad to keep scores and generally run the tournament. This is how I got on...

(left: tables waiting to be played at, middle: the tournament schedule, right: the rules)

Game 1: Dabrowka Bamber - WIN :(y)

Although I've never played either of them head to head, I knew of Nicholas Bamber (@asparagus) and his daughter Julia who got knocked out in the semi-finals last year, the same as I did, and who reached the finals the year before that. So I know that the Bambers are to be feared in the world of Carcassonne and was immediately wary of my opponent before we'd even started playing! However, after we'd opened a brand new Carcassonne set between us and had punched out all the tiles, this turned out to be a far more peaceful game than I was expecting. I was somewhat more aggressive than my opponent, but she didn't always respond when I pressured her by attacking some of her features, and this gave me some good chances to trap several of her meeples in the early stages of our game thanks to some favourable tile draws. It was clear that she was frustrated with how the game was going, but this frustration seemed especially painful towards the end of the game where her shortage of meeples meant she missed some easy points and couldn't fight back where I continued to apply pressure and challenged her for some of the farms.

Overall, she seemed very smart and made some great decisions during the game, but perhaps wasn't used to playing aggressively and this venture into unfamiliar territory meant she didn't always know how to respond to some of the positions I was forcing her into. As a result of this, I won the game by a margin of something like 20 points but would still maintain that the Bamber sisters are to Carcassonne what the Mitchell brothers are to Albert Square...

Game 2: Andrew Page (UK champion 2016) - WIN :(y)

I'd been chatting to Andrew (@torminalis) before the competition had started as we'd played a few online games together back in 2016 before he went off to represent the UK at the world championships. I wasn't sure if he'd remember me after I had the pleasure of meeting him in person when @Decar and I visited Essen that year, but apparently he had. He said he hoped we'd get to play in person, whereas I kind of hoped we didn't as I was secretly wishing for an easy ride at least as far as the semi-finals. This isn't what I got!

As our game started, Andrew completed a quick city and placed an early farmer which all helped to establish a very strong opening position for him. However, I quickly caught up thanks to my drawing of all three of the cfcf (split) tiles in quick succession, taking four points for a small city with each one of them! I also farmed here, and on an adjacent farm to strengthen my claim to what looked like it would become something worth fighting for. Andrew fought back and I added a third farmer, and later a fourth to secure the farm overall. Meanwhile I had trapped one of his cloisters and had fought to share a secondary farm with him even though this meant deploying my last meeple (something I'm always very reluctant to do).

There were a couple of things about this game that stuck out for me, most of which I discussed with Andrew afterwards. The first was a mistake Andrew made which added his second farmer onto the main farm which I controlled. This meant his joined farmer became worthless as he was outfarmed, and it also added two cities to the main farm which hadn't previously been on it. The other thing he did, which surprised and delighted me, was that he completed a city we were sharing when I had no meeples to play with. This added three points to the value of my farm, but critically it gave me back a meeple which kept me in the game! This was especially important as I had placed a lot of farmers, but also had one guy stuck on a road and another in a city where Andrew had expertly pointed my road into my city to slow me down. This happened at a time when there were still plenty of ccrr and cccr tiles left in the deck, and any of them would have helped. But frustratingly enough, I couldn't seem to draw anything useful and my two meeples sat there poking their tongues out at me for most of the game until I eventually drew a cccr tile and got one back off the road. I never did complete the city though... :(

This game was closer than the last (I think), but the farmers ended up proving worthy of my investment and pushed the final scores in my favour.

Game 3: Richard Gough (UK champion 2012/13) – WIN :) :(y)

Richard (@Riker) is another good friend of mine, and someone who takes his Carcassonne very seriously. But this is to be expected of someone who has won the title twice within the last seven years, and we've played each other enough via JCloisterZone for me to know that I was in for yet another very tough match...

This game got off to a somewhat disastrous start for me. I was playing fairly safely, or so I thought, until the cccc tile put in an early appearance for Richard. As you'd expect, he used this to his advantage and over the course of the next four or five turns had trapped two of my meeples; one in a city, and one on an adjacent road for a grand total of around nine points between them. Obviously this came as a bit of a blow, especially for it to happen so early in the game, but it did at least inspire me to fight back and attempt to do the same to him even though I knew he would be guarding himself against this very closely. But luck was on my side in this respect as Richard struggled to draw a useful tile to complete a small city he had started as I very gradually shut him down before finally killing off his city completely. Elsewhere he had anticipated where the main farm would be and claimed it in three separate places. I decided not to challenge him for this farm, mostly because my two trapped meeples meant I didn't really have the resources to do so. However, I did enjoy robbing him of a dozen or so points by merging all of his farms into one which ended up being worth a grand total of 18 points.

Elsewhere in the game I seemed to manage to complete cities just as they were threatened, took a little farm of my own and also risked a cloister which all helped to keep my score going in the right direction even though my meeple shortage made it feel like I was always on the back foot. Richard took risks too though, and about halfway through the game claimed one of two adjacent cities that had somehow been growing in value over the course of the game. I had also thought about claiming it earlier in the game, but again, the points on offer weren't worth one of my few remaining meeples. So it didn't entirely surprise me that Richard claimed it, but the alarm bells didn't start to ring too loudly until he joined his city to the adjacent city and I realised that it wasn't completely out of the question that he might actually complete it! This was a scary moment, but I did what I needed to do to limit his chances of completing it even though this meant foregoing easy points elsewhere. Richard congratulated me on this at the time, but it was thanks to luck elsewhere that narrowly prevented him from completing it and winning the game in the end.

When we totalled up our scores we saw that somehow I'd scraped a win in this game, albeit by my smallest margin so far. This game really took its toll on me though, so I was glad of a short break afterwards even though we missed most of it purely because our game seemed to take far longer to play than most of the others. Three wins from three games though! I was feeling pretty pleased with myself at this point, and was beginning to wonder who might spoil the party considering the strength of the field I'd already fought my way through!

(left: I took this photo of my game with Richard before we moved the tiles back towards the middle of the table, just look at those poor trapped meeples! right: standings at end of round 3)

Game 4: Ven Gee Lim (UK champion 2017) - WIN :D :(y)

Ven Gee is another player who I have a lot of history with. We first played in the consolation game for 3rd/4th in the 2015 competition and he thrashed me rather decisively then. We next played in Round 1 of the 2018 competition where I recognised him as the previous year's champion but didn't mention it as we were playing a 4-player game and it didn't seem fair to bring it up in front of other players who might use this as a reason to target him. Anyway, I managed to secure a win in that game by placing the final tile of the game – a cccr – such that it handed control of a city that had been shared between him and another player, to the other player, robbing him of around 15 points. It felt terrible at the time, but we laugh about it now and as a consequence have played dozens of head to head games via the iOS app since. I knew before the competition had even started that if things went well for me I would end up playing Ven Gee at some point and it would be 50/50 whether things continued to go well after that. Both of us were unbeaten at this point, but obviously this was about to change...

Ven Gee drew a couple of early cloisters and took a risk on claiming them. I couldn't let this go unchallenged, and although he recognised where I was threatening him he never seemed to draw anything that could be used to defend himself whereas I always seemed to get what I needed to kill him off. I trapped both of his cloisters and got another meeple on an adjacent road. I said sorry each time I completed a trap, but we both knew that in reality this wasn't the case at all and that I was having a little party inside my head each time I did it! The other thing that played significantly to my favour in this game was that we both had two meeples each invested in a city that, whilst unlikely to complete, was very valuable. When I managed to get a third meeple into this city, and claimed a small but growable farm at around the same time, things were looking up for me, but the game certainly wasn't over as Ven Gee was able to generate a lot of points, mostly from short roads, to keep his score ticking over. And despite my control of the big city, this was only just enough to balance out his three trapped meeples and I couldn't easily expand it without presenting him with an opportunity to get a third meeple of his own into it.

A couple of little cities generated just enough points to give me the lead in a game where Ven Gee had proved just how dangerous he can be even with three trapped meeples. I was glad to have this game over and done with though, and dreaded to think who my next opponent might be, assuming there was someone besides myself who had managed to get this far without being beaten.

(left: Ven Gee and I delighted to be playing in person again after so many games played on the iOS app, right: things were just starting to go my way (but I didn't want to show it)!

Game 5: Roma Attenborough - WIN ;D :(y)

Roma's is a name that I'm familiar with, but only from having read through results of UK championships from previous years (notably in 2018 when she finished the 4-player stage within the top 16 but couldn't continue to the knock-out stage, so the 17th ranked player [me!] qualified in her place). All things considered, I knew that she wasn't unfamiliar with finishing near the top even if she hadn't previously won the title (that I'm aware of). But our game was a strange one. Strange to the point that it almost felt out of place at this stage of the competition purely based on how quickly she played. I like to think that I'm capable of playing just as quickly as anyone else when it comes to speed Carcassonne, but in this case I felt a bit like she wasn't fully considering all of her opportunities in sufficient depth and I had to pull myself back from the brink of doing the same purely for the sake of responding to her as quickly as she seemed to be responding to me.

Weirdly, this was a game with no farmers at all until the last 12 or so tiles. Instead, the main focus of the game for me had been another huge but uncompleteable city. I challenged it in several places but it wasn't until she started trying to make my life difficult in this respect that I actually seemed to draw exactly what I needed (in most cases a 3-sided city tile of some description) to merge onto it and ultimately take overall control of it. I managed to kill off one or two of her meeples elsewhere but struggled in this respect too as she was equally difficult to pin down, and my putting pressure on her seemed to help her to draw whatever she needed to escape me!

I'd gradually built up a worthwhile lead throughout the game, but towards the end Roma had freed up sufficient meeples to claim some of the available farms which she scored well from. This, combined with her somewhat fortunate completion of a valuable city with just 4 or 5 tiles left to be placed meant that she finished just three points behind me when everything had been taken into account. But despite it being my narrowest win of the competition so far, it was a game that I felt I deserved to have won even moreso than most of the others that had led up to it. My opponent was very polite about it, but didn't want to hang around for a chat afterwards and headed off while I sat back to watch Ven Gee finish off another comfortable win at the table next to me.

(left: the atmosphere at the top 3 tables was pretty intense, right: 100% focused on my game against Roma

Game 6, SEMI-FINAL: Michal Frys (UK champion 2007?) - WIN 8) :(y)

The tournament was organised such that everyone played five games and then the four with the most wins went through into a semi-final, and the winners of each semi-final played each other in the final. With five wins from five games I was pretty confident I'd qualified for a semi-final, and remember joking with someone that I didn't know what more I could have done to have improved my chances of doing so if I hadn't made it! My unbeaten record meant that I was the top seed though, and consequently that I was drawn against the bottom seed – Michal Frys. I didn't know Michal, but Ven Gee had played him earlier and had warned me that he was a strong player, who was also a previous winner of the UK championship although I didn't catch when he'd won it. In any case, he had been there with his young daughter for at least five or six hours by this point and I was in awe of the fact that she would just sit quietly and entertain herself while her dad got on with his Carcassonne games. This, along with his thick German accent, made him someone to be feared just as much as anything else did.

(above: semi-final fixtures)

This game played out in the same way as most of my previous ones seemed to have done. My focus early on in the game was to trap Michal wherever possible without risking too many of my own meeples in the process. He saw this coming of course, and in most cases defended himself where he was able to. As a result of this kind of play though, we ended up growing a fairly hefty city between us which included two of his meeples against just one of mine. It didn't seem likely that it would complete, but it was certainly a big concern to me until I had an opportunity to equalise it with him. Despite this though, at about halfway through the game it started to become obvious from my opponent's body language that he felt he was losing control of the game even while I was of the opinion that things could have gone either way. As it happened, Michal's instinct was probably more accurate in this case as things really did start to go my way in the second half of the game. I equalised our big city with a second meeple, and then took it outright with a third! I also got a second farmer onto a farm we'd previously been sharing, and with the last tile of the game did the same on another farm. I can't remember what the final scores were, but they weren't close; I may even have lapped him on the scoretrack. Sometimes that's just the way it goes though, and I didn't feel too bad about it as I've been on the receiving end plenty of times myself. This said, one thing I didn't have any previous experience of was about to change, as this victory had booked me a place in the final against either Aleksejs Peguseve (multiple winner of the Latvian Carcassonne championship and good friend of @MrNumbers) or Ven Gee Lim who I'd already beaten in Round 4. I couldn't decide who I'd rather play in the final, but I didn't have to think about it for long as the two semi-finals finished at around the same time...

(above: six games, six wins and one game to go)

Game 7, FINAL: – Ven Gee Lim (again!) - LOSS :'( :(n)

This game started off quite nicely for me with a tidy 8-point city to get myself started on the scoretrack. Ven Gee's tiles weren't quite as straight forward as mine but he did draw a cloister, which he claimed, and started a road nearby too. I wasn't going to change a tactic that had been so successful for me so far, and immediately started creating opportunities to trap Ven Gee wherever I could. The tiles had other ideas this time though, and Ven Gee wasn't so easily trapped. I seemed to draw a lot of road junctions in the early part of the game, and used these to generate quick points here and there rather than risk leaving a meeple down for too long in case it became trapped. However, I did notice that all four of the frrr tiles had gone out early which was hard to miss as I drew all of them! After some deliberating over it, I used this knowledge to my advantage and made two frrr gaps: one next to Ven Gee's cloister and the other at the end of his road. This made me happy, but not for long as the battle was being fought on several fronts by this point and a dangerous city was starting to grow to my right (left in the photo below).

What started out as a quick 6-point city for Ven Gee became something more significant when I was forced to drop the cccc tile onto it as there was nowhere else for it to go. I then fought to tie the city, but Ven Gee responded by attacking back to keep it 2 – 1 in his favour. Reluctant to give up, I managed to position a 2nd meeple adjacent to it, and Ven Gee did the same opposite mine by two tiles with a 3rd meeple of his own! This was crazily risky, especially for someone with 2 trapped meeples, but it turned out to be an all or nothing risk that was worth taking. As I tried to ensure that the city remained incomplete, he placed two straight roads along the back side of the city which meant the city could now be completed either by two cccf or two ccff tiles back to back. Both of which were plentiful. What's more, my chances of cutting his third meeple out of it were no better than his chances of cutting my second meeple out of it and were somewhat remote anyway as they depended on drawing one of the two ccff splitters. I knew at that moment that my chances of winning the tournament were very suddenly in serious trouble.

Ven Gee drew the first of the four cccf tiles and placed it to join his 3rd meeple into the city. I wasn't sure if this was the best way to go about completing it as he might have enjoyed better odds if he'd tried it with ccff tiles as he was more likely to draw two of those. But it was done, and all he needed now to complete the city with a majority of three knights against my two was one of the remaining three cccf tiles. Surely it was only a matter of time before this happened, but it was by no means a certainty and I started to wonder if maybe my bacon could be saved when I drew the next cccf tile which I used to join him in a new city that he had started creating earlier. He was however out of meeples at this point so put no small amount of effort into completing this city without any input from me, purely to get his meeple back. This didn't take him long and he was back on his feet again in no time.

Do you remember where I wrote that I'd apologised to Ven Gen when trapping his meeples in our Round 4 match, despite the little parties that were kicking off inside my head every time I did it? Ven Gee apologised with his next tile, a cccf that completed his city for 28-points, whilst simultaneously launching what must have been the party of the century inside his head at the same time! I felt a bit sick as I knew there could be no coming back from this, but I was kind of pleased for Ven Gee too as he certainly wasn't undeserving of another UK Carcassonne championship title to go with his win from two years earlier. We continued with the game, and placed a few farmers here and there whenever it seemed to make sense, but the thrill and the excitement was mostly gone and the game suddenly felt very different to both of us despite everything that had happened before his epic city had totally changed the game for both of us.

As the game started to run out of tiles, Ven Gee was able to rob me of a few farmer points while generating 8 points for himself from a fffr cloister that merged two of my farms together. He also had a couple of small cities on a farm that he'd claimed when he completed his big city, and had been extending his uncompletable road whenever he couldn't think of anything better to do with some of the road tiles he drew. Meanwhile, I had a small city on the go, which Ven Gee had dumped the final cccf onto just to rub salt into the wound. However, I soon realised that there were sufficient tiles left to complete this city if I drew exactly what I needed with the last few tiles. Although I was pretty sure I'd lost the game, a small win like this, coupled with the extra points it might bring for one of my farmers gave me something to hang on to for a short time. Ven Gee drew both of the tiles I needed to finish my city, and I decided never to play Carcassonne again. Not until my next game anyway... ;)

(left: the game was lost but I wasn't prepared to give it up, right: the new UK Carcassonne champion and I had a laugh about the long pause in our earlier game where we were both waiting for each other to place a tile)

(left: the final landscape showing Ven Gee's 28-point city on the left and my previously finishable but unfinished city on the right, right: it's official, I lost by 16 points!)

In my first year of university, the guy who lived opposite me in our halls of residence had a poster on the outside of his door that said "Second place is first loser". I don't know why that's stuck with me for the last 20+ years but for some reason it has. However, despite getting beaten in the final I certainly didn't feel like a loser. Ven Gee was incredibly gracious about his victory and when all the interested parties came over to investigate the result of our game he was quick to explain how it had all come down to luck whereas I was less convinced that this was the case and felt more like he'd taken a series of carefully calculated risks that had paid off big time. The guys from Mind Sports Olympiad (the event organisers) did a quick presentation in front of the remaining Carcassonne players, which included me being congratulated (as runner-up) on my impressive winning streak. Then Ven Gee was presented with his trophy and we both posed for some photos.

Of course I was disappointed not to have won. I would LOVE to represent the UK at the World Carcassonne championships one year and this is the closest I've gotten to doing so in five years of trying. But it wasn't to be. There's always next year though, and if not then, the year after that. I still felt very proud of what I'd achieved, and it's hard to feel disappointed when you feel as proud as I did! I'd proven that I was someone to watch out for; a force to be reckoned with! And it was weird going over to the computers every now and again and seeing my name at the top of the list, feeling people glancing at me as though I was a retired TV actor who had just popped into McDonalds for a large quarter pounder with cheese meal. It was a glimpse into the world of Carcassonne royalty, just for a moment, and I enjoyed shaking hands with so many people and being patted on the back from all directions even if I didn't necessarily feel like I'd earned it.

Something else that made all the difference to me was all the support I got from various members of our community here at Carcassonne Central. I really can't tell you what a difference it made to know that so many people were "in my corner" and I'm very grateful for all the messages I received via Slack and Facebook etc. both before and after the competition. Someone else I really can't finish this off without thanking is Rich (@Rich_The_Fish) who discretely checked up on me throughout the day to take photos (most of the ones above are his), and even before that had scoped out the tournament area to let me know where it was before I'd got there and even bought me a few backup cans of Pepsi Max in case I was running low on my much-needed energy source for stressful games of Carcassonne! So, a huge thanks to everyone who wished me well, supported me and congratulated/ commiserated with me afterwards. I couldn't have gotten as far as I got without you!

(left: Ven Gee and I with the tournament organiser from MSO, right: something I didn't take home with me :'(

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4307.0
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:46:51 AM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: UK Carcassonne Championships 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:14:24 PM »
Epic (and merit-worthy) report! Congratulations on making the final and I’m sure you’ll go one step further next year!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:32:06 AM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 03:52:22 AM »
Epic (and merit-worthy) report! Congratulations on making the final and I’m sure you’ll go one step further next year!

Thanks JB. I'm impressed you managed to get through the whole thing! ;)

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 04:27:55 AM »
Congrats danissecond!

Well played and nice report!  And for me it seems "second place is the first winner after the first winner"  ;)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
Congrats Dan!

Hope you don't scare us anymore with a 10-minute long absence while in your nothing box...  :o

+1 merit from me for sharing and showing us the dark secrets of UKGE.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Riker

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
Thanks - really interesting write up. Our game was the most entertaining I had all day! I played Julia Bamber and encouraged her afterwards to join this community as she is a quality player. I was fortunate to beat her, even though I have been playing Carcassonne longer than she has been alive!

For all you do for Carcassonne you most definitely deserve a place at the World Championship. You were by far the best player I played all day. Despite having won it twice I feel I have a lot I can learn from you still. I'm sure it will be you year soon - now it is all two player games at the UK Championship I'm sure it will not be long.

Sorry I had to miss the semi final and final rounds - I had a UK Catan Championship to win the next day (and the Champions League final was on)!

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:12:18 PM »
Love it!! So interesting!! Hope in Spain the tournament was like that and no lucky 4 players games....

Enviado desde mi XT1700 mediante Tapatalk

I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 02:42:15 AM »
Love it!! So interesting!! Hope in Spain the tournament was like that and no lucky 4 players games....

It is so weird Devir adopted this format. LaplazadeCarcassonne was telling me about the struggles to change the format to 1vs1 games.

Offline robert44444uk

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 04:05:08 AM »
This was an interesting experience for me.

I took up Carcassonne at the start of this year, and really enjoy the basic game. As I was going to the Birmingham event I thought I would enter the UK championships and ended with 4-3 record - much better than my goal of just winning a game!

Clearly there is something of a gulf between my style of play and that demonstrated by Dan and Ven Gee Lee. I only had one common opponent with Dan, Roma, and she too good for me. 

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 06:30:07 AM »
Hi robert44444uk, welcome to the forums. :) :(y)

4 wins from 7 games is an impressive record to have finished a national competition with, especially since you're relatively new to the game. Congratulations! It sounds like you enjoyed your experience too, which is a good reason to go back next year to see how you get on...

The best way to improve is simply to keep playing. Play against as many different people as you can, and look to play online if you can't find strong enough opponents offline (there used to be a huge pool of online players here at Carcassonne Central but we still have a dozen or so active players). During games, while you're waiting for your opponent to take their turn, rehearse in your head what you'd do in their situation, and if they do something different ask yourself why and see if you can make sense of it. If you determine that they're trying to trap you, think about how you can defend yourself, or attack them back in some other way. Treat every game as a learning experience, regardless of the outcome, and put those lessons to good use the next time you play.

I tend to play quite aggressively which usually involves attempting to trap my opponent's meeples early on (therefore limiting their scoring potential). This isn't always conducive to generating a lot of points for myself though, so I can come unstuck if for example my opponent has scored well from 3 or 4 cloisters, or if they happen to score a big city, regardless of how many of their meeples are stuck on the board.

Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing you next year!

Dan

Offline robert44444uk

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
I did thanks Dan! I'm the grey haired dude behind you in your photo of game 4.  I'm following your advice so hopefully will be better this time next year. I'm concentrating on the basic game - it already is a perfect game for me, and I don't need rivers abbots or pigs to detract from building experience  :)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »

It is so weird Devir adopted this format. LaplazadeCarcassonne was telling me about the struggles to change the format to 1vs1 games.
They change the final rounds into 1vs1 format. But the first phase still 4 players game... :(

Offline Uhome

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Congrats Dan! It is a really interesting write up! Hope I can play with you in person one day!

DrMeeple, a good wish that they would change to 1vs1 format one day in your country, like what happens in UK after a long wait.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
Congrats Dan! It is a really interesting write up! Hope I can play with you in person one day!

Thanks Uhome. That would be good!

Official results from the event can be found here.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 11:54:30 PM »
Hope I can play with you in person one day!

I’ve done it more often than I wanted to and let me tell you: it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

(Just kidding danislegend!)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2019, 05:05:34 AM
by jungleboy
xx
UK Carcassonne Championships 2018

Started by danisthirty

21 Replies
Last post November 30, 2018, 06:04:27 AM
by Decar
xx
National Carcassonne Championships in 2017

Started by Jéré

97 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 07:49:28 AM
by Merlin_89
xx
NK Carcassonne 2022 (Dutch Championships)

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2022, 01:35:11 PM
by Willem
xx
National Carcassonne Championships in 2016

Started by Chooselife

20 Replies
Last post December 29, 2016, 12:16:56 AM
by danisthirty