Author Topic: Playing with double set of tiles.  (Read 3202 times)

Offline eebo

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Playing with double set of tiles.
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:01:43 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered, I'm new to the game and this site, so your patience is much appreciated ????

I'm not that bothered about any of the expansions, apart from Inns and Cathedrals, I just really like the basic gameplay, so I'm considering buying another set of the base 72 tiles to add to the set I already have, making for a bigger game.

My question is, how will affect the meeple quota for the game and how many extra should I add to the current seven to ensure the game remains as enjoyable and practicable as it currently is?

Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4221.0

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with double set of tiles.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:33:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  :)
The number of meeples remains unchanged, always, whether you use the basic game x2 or you use the basic game x1 + all the expansions you want.
Of course, there are exceptions: some expansion adds special meeples, but only one SUGGEST to add a meeples in the players' reserve (the markets of Leipzig). the limited number of meeples available to players must be limited for a strategic reason both for themselves and for the adversary. Anyway ... nobody forbids you to apply houserules to your games. I still do not recommend playing with 2 basic boxes ... In this way the game risks to become boring.
You have so many expansions at your disposal... try them! :)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:54 PM »
As you will be doubling up on the avaliable monasteries there is a case for an extra meeple or two. If you do add a meeple per player then I suggest the phantom expansion. If you are using the original art then the festival and or the GQ mini expansion add some different tile configurations but do not detract from the simplicity and feel of base game only. The festival also allows you to take back a trapped meeple which could be useful with 144+ tiles in play.

Adding to my original comment, the festival is also available in the new art. Another old art option is the Wheel of Fortune : ignoring the game play which some don't like, the 72 tiles are a better distribution than the base game and easier to sort afterwards too.

I have a spare copy of the GQ expansion and also the Wheel of Fortune to sell if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:13:17 AM by Halfling »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline eebo

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:50:15 AM »
Thank you for your replies, you've given me food for thought re buying another base set. I can see the potential for it becoming boring, especially if my meeples are tied up on all the additional monasteries.

As for expansions, I have Inns and Cathedrals, which I like, and several of the minor ones, including Labyrinth (not a huge fan), Barbers (not played it yet, but having fully read the rules, I'm beginning not to like the idea of being forced to lose a meeple), King and Robber (I don't mind it) and the River II (I play this alongside River). None of the other expansions appeal really.

So as it is, I'm playing with over 100 tiles I suppose and maybe another 72 might just be too big a leap. I'll certainly have another think.

Thanks for your help!

Offline eebo

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 05:01:13 AM »

Plus I've discovered that for 99p I can add a full set of tiles to the App version of the game, so I'll do that to see how 144 tiles plays out.  :(y)

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:09:34 AM »
I'm playing with 2 bases set (old and new) plus Discovery and Winter, and about 200 expansions. (4000 tiles). Adding expansions gives a nice look to the game. I could put only 800 tiles on my table  :black1-meeple:

Offline eebo

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:18:23 AM »
I'm playing with 2 bases set (old and new) plus Discovery and Winter, and about 200 expansions. (4000 tiles). Adding expansions gives a nice look to the game. I could put only 800 tiles on my table  :black1-meeple:

Wow!  :o
Hats off to you, my friend  :gray-meeple:

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:29:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum eebo!

I won't offer much extra advice, but most expansions provide an additional follower, for every 10 or so tiles.  If you do pay with 143 tiles, you'll probably want to adjust your meeple count a little.

Let us know how you get on!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:11:43 AM »
I just wanted to say that you can acquire extra expansions and use the tiles without adding the different rules.   We like the tiles in Hills and Sheep (we also really like the shepherd), but never play with the "Hills" rules.  Abbey and Mayor has some really interesting city tiles configurations as well.   

Offline eebo

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 09:28:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum eebo!

I won't offer much extra advice, but most expansions provide an additional follower, for every 10 or so tiles.  If you do pay with 143 tiles, you'll probably want to adjust your meeple count a little.

Let us know how you get on!

Thank you and I will do  ;D

Offline eebo

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »
I just wanted to say that you can acquire extra expansions and use the tiles without adding the different rules.   We like the tiles in Hills and Sheep (we also really like the shepherd), but never play with the "Hills" rules.  Abbey and Mayor has some really interesting city tiles configurations as well.

Thanks - I think I'll be doing that with the Barbers expansion  ^-^

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
WTS Russian Promo tiles (2016, 4 tiles - the whole set)

Started by Push

17 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 10:54:06 PM
by aenima
xx
Original art - full set of 72 base game tiles for sale

Started by Halfling

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2017, 01:07:58 PM
by Halfling
smiley
{Closed} [WTS] Russian promos. 2- tiles set. Izbushka + Bogatyr