Author Topic: What game is hitting your table?  (Read 45327 times)

Offline Nebus

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • Lost in the CarcaZone!
    • View Profile
Re: What game is hitting your table?
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2014, 05:33:07 AM »
The games currently visiting our table top are...

Zombies- A tile based game where the players build a  town infested with zombies and have to get their player from the town centre to the Heli-pad or kill 25 zombies to win.

Jamaica- A pirate-themed tactical race game with great player interaction. The winner is not the first to reach the finish line but the player who best balances their position in the race with the amount of gold already in their hold.

Those Pesky Humans- A dungeon set game where one player is the lord of the dungeon and controls all the denizens while the other players each control a hero that must escape the perilous underworld.

Munchkin- A card based dungeon crawl where it's every player for themselves. The aim of the game is to get your character up to level 10. Great fun with 6 players.

Poker- Texas Holdem.

And of course, Carcassonne...

:black-meeple:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2014, 01:33:26 AM »
A question:
Does no one play any games since May 2014?  ;D

-----------------------
In hospital we played card game "Rommè" and dice game Kniffel/Yathzee.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2014, 02:50:18 AM »
A question:
Does no one play any games since May 2014?  ;D

-----------------------
In hospital we played card game "Rommè" and dice game Kniffel/Yathzee.

Only Carcassonne and 'Saboteur'! both my favorite games

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »
Recently I bought Agrícola and Ticket to Ride, both very enjoyable :)
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
I have been playing lots. Sorry, I have not been posting to this thread...

...I had the impression that nobody looked at it.  :-[
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
I just got Glen More, so I've been playing that mostly. 

I've recently played Vegas Showdown several times and have been enjoying that as well. 

My game group has been playing a lot of Russian Railroads and Waterdeep lately. 

Sadly, no Carcassonne in quite a while with the exception of one game with the new Sheep and Hills expansion a couple months ago.

My son is 6 now, so I just have to hold out for a couple more years before he can start really wrapping his head around Carc and several other games.   :blue-meeple:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:37:07 AM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline Nebus

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • Lost in the CarcaZone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2014, 06:00:49 AM »
Played Nexus Ops recently...

It's a strategy combat game for up to 4 players and great fun!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15363/nexus-ops

:black-meeple:

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
I just got Glen More, so I've been playing that mostly. 

We love Glen More! We've got several plays in. We picked it up at Gencon 2013.

Also been playing:
Carcassonne
A Touch of Evil
Last Night On Earth
Dark Gothic
Fortune and Glory
Dominion
The Witches
Discworld Ankh-Morpork
Snowdonia
Tasnia
The Farming Game
Elder Sign

My randomizer deck keeps growing!
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Went camping with the family last week and got to play several Kickstarter games from my collection for the first time (in no particular order because I can't remember what order we played them in). I didn't bring any Carcassonne games, though I would have liked to try some of the standalones. Storage space was at a premium, so I only took games that were compact to store and compact to play. Tile-laying games and small tables don't mix well.

1. Skyline

Published by Tasty Minstrel Games, this came with Ground Floor as a stretch goal. It's a dice-drafting game where you roll to build skyscrapers. My brother isn't a fan of luck-based games, but deciding which dice to roll is a bit of a skill.

2. The Perfect Heist

This is a card game where you equip yourself to complete heists. Your equipment has certain point values, and the sum of those points needs to be greater than the heist difficulty level. Where things get interesting is that you can play co-operatively, or not. Sabotaging other players is a big part of the game, which was a little disappointing for us because that's not really our play style. There is a Pro deck with more difficult heists, but I found that it's very difficult to accumulate enough points to be able to tackle them. There are also pre-requisties that you need to have, which was hard with only three players. Five or six players would probably be a lot more enjoyable.

3. Railways of the World: The Card Game

We played this as a two-player game, and each of us stuck to our own side of the table which isn't really intended but made the end-game scoring a lot easier. The only criticism we had is that you are mostly limited to one of five actions per turn. We would have preferred cube delivery to be a separate phase so that you can build routes AND deliver cubes. We rushed to build our routes, and then switched to focus on cube delivery until I was feeling confident that I had a strong-enough point lead and then I placed my last train, which ended the game. My brother managed to catch up to 1 point behind me on his final turn.

4. Aces of Spies

In this card-based game, you're trying to complete missions by collecting certain types of cards. Although the cards are divided into three decks according to color, it was still really hard to get the cards we needed to complete missions. We suspect this was due to insufficient shuffling. We were also frustrated by some of the complexities; certain cards can be used in three different ways. Would not recommend this game.

5. Dragon Slayer

In this dice-rolling game, you defeat dragons to score points. I had played the game solo when it first arrived, and thought it was nicely balanced, but when I played it with my brother I ended up getting really good dice rolls and successfully defeated several dragons in a row before it was his turn to play. He had barely scored any points by the time I had won. I think he was also mad about it being purely luck-based. I still like the game because I can play it solo.

6.  The Great Heartland Hauling Company

in this cube delivery game from Dice Hate Me Games, you're driving a semi-truck around a small area in the United States of America. We played without any expansions to keep things simple, but next time around I would definitely add the Badlands expansion to increase the rate of point earning to make it play a bit quicker. Also would like to try some of the alternative layouts. The Truck Stop expansion adds some interesting abilities, but being limited to one ability per player makes me feel a bit skeptical that it will add enough to the game.

7. Fleet

This game is quite different from what I normally gravitate towards. You're managing a fleet of deep-sea fishing vessels. There are some benefits to diversifying your fleet, but also benefits in specializing. It was difficult to remember to take advantage of all our abilities, and we massively misunderstood how some of the abilities worked and ended up drawing way too many cards in a single turn. We played with only the base game, but the vast quantity of expansions and promos has me interested to play more. I think it could be quite fun if played correctly.

8. Monad

I thought this Sid Sackson game would be a little less complicated, but everyone was confused by the different methods of advancing for quite a while. I tried to trade up as quickly as possible, but got stuck drawing cards I couldn't use (probably due to insufficient shuffling). My brother quietly built up his hand and then went from last place to winning the game in a single turn.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:59:27 PM by Scott »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
6.  The Great Heartland Hauling Company

in this cube delivery game from Dice Hate Me Games, you're driving a semi-truck around a small area in the United States of America. We played without any expansions to keep things simple, but next time around I would definitely add the Badlands expansion to increase the rate of point earning to make it play a bit quicker. Also would like to try some of the alternative layouts. The Truck Stop expansion adds some interesting abilities, but being limited to one ability per player makes me feel a bit skeptical that it will add enough to the game.

A friend lent me this so my wife and I played it a few times over the course of about a week. It's a neat little game and I like the concept, although there wasn't really enough to it to keep us coming back for more after we'd played it half a dozen times...

Online Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
The expansion helps a bit while flipping a few of the cards can also make the game a bit more difficult. I like the game quite a bit and brought it to New Zealand with me. I agree it could become samey but so can a lot of games. You just can't play it a dozen times in a row.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
You just can't play it a dozen times in a row.

Good point. I think we were just trying too hard to get the most of it because we had to give it back to my friend...

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:21 AM »
Been awhile since I chimed in... so here goes. :)

Yedo
This is a well designed game that will hit the table again soon. I love the theme and the mechanics. It is a solid Euro design.

Glory To Rome
Very innovative game that shares some mechanics with Innovation. I really like this game and have played it three times recently. I can always be talked into bringing this to ChewsDay Challenge.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
This is just a great game. Each time I play it, I enjoy it more. Now with four full plays under my belt this is a top 10 game for me.

Merchant of Venus
What can I say, other than this game is AWESOME!?! (I am referring to the classic rules of course).

Cavum
Very clever route building game with some puzzle like qualities and abilities to screw over other players. Works for me. :)

Formula De
We are in our 6th season of the Formula De League. League play is where it is at for this game. Solid.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Table Talk - how does this happen at your game?

Started by Allan in Brisbane

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 06:05:28 AM
by Durbs
clip
Base Game - Table edges

Started by Meepledrone

50 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 06:00:15 AM
by kothmann
xx
Scoreboard in the center of the table.