Author Topic: first game with Carcassonne Mayflower  (Read 3392 times)

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
first game with Carcassonne Mayflower
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »
so... I really don't like it!
I don.t like the graphic... the grass seem to be maded with the photoshop's tool fade! the animals are too photorgafic! and the scoreboard... it needs all the points not only 5 - 10 - 15 ecc...
then... too many tiles for a game that is totally the same of the normal carcassonne...
only point in his favour are the two white surveyors (but I don't understand what happned when they reach hte last tiles on the west and they must move on... and I don't understand if I can put a tile more down or up then the scoreboard!)
sooooo... no!  :(n)
my best spinoff until now remains The Castle for a quick game in 2 and the Ark of the covenant for the graphic!  :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1804.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: first game with Carcassonne Mayflower
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:08:28 AM »
I don't like the graphics of New World/Mayflower AT ALL. It's trying to be too realistic but just comes across as confusing. Everything is dark and there isn't enough distinction between features, especially the farms or whatever they are. I liked the concept of the scoreboard as one long start tile but I didn't like how it only climbed in multiples of 5, as you said. The surveyors are my favorite feature, too, and I used the concept of the scoreboard and the surveyors as elements of my "Invasion of the Moors" expansion a few years ago. It should still be in the expansions section somewhere, although I haven't touched it in quite a while. I redid the scoreboard into just a large start tile that sits on top, wrapped around the New World board. The surveyors got repurposed as the trailing end of the Gallic army, thereby allowing the area behind them to be settled à la the normal game. Those going ahead are scouting and fighting the Moors.

For the record, you can built above and below the line of the scoreboard, just not backwards around it.

I love Ark of the Covenant but my major complaint is the graphics...I think they are super boring. It makes Israel look like a land of deserts, which it is not. I also like the Castle, but my partner does not like it much so it never gets played. I dislike The City the most of all tile-based spin-offs. It just doesn't do anything for me and the wall race element is very...constricting.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
Re: first game with Carcassonne Mayflower
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:56:13 AM »
I don't like the graphics of New World/Mayflower AT ALL. It's trying to be too realistic but just comes across as confusing. Everything is dark and there isn't enough distinction between features, especially the farms or whatever they are. I liked the concept of the scoreboard as one long start tile but I didn't like how it only climbed in multiples of 5, as you said. The surveyors are my favorite feature, too, and I used the concept of the scoreboard and the surveyors as elements of my "Invasion of the Moors" expansion a few years ago. It should still be in the expansions section somewhere, although I haven't touched it in quite a while. I redid the scoreboard into just a large start tile that sits on top, wrapped around the New World board. The surveyors got repurposed as the trailing end of the Gallic army, thereby allowing the area behind them to be settled à la the normal game. Those going ahead are scouting and fighting the Moors.

For the record, you can built above and below the line of the scoreboard, just not backwards around it.

I love Ark of the Covenant but my major complaint is the graphics...I think they are super boring. It makes Israel look like a land of deserts, which it is not. I also like the Castle, but my partner does not like it much so it never gets played. I dislike The City the most of all tile-based spin-offs. It just doesn't do anything for me and the wall race element is very...constricting.

mh! I'll give a look to your fanmade... it seems interesting!

thanx for the clarification of mayflower rules!

I can't speak for the city... or the discovery. I still miss them!
they are the only I miss... well, I miss cardcassonne too (but... really? cards instead of tiles? no!)
and the travel edition (but I know... if I have it I'd not bring with me in travel... never! I can lose some parts or destroy them, so... no!)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
carcassonne New World or Mayflower

Started by aenima

11 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 06:39:34 AM
by Tonhat
xx
Question about landtile H in carcassonne mayflower

Started by drone2

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 10:15:21 PM
by drone2
xx
Surveyors on westernmost tiles (New World / MayFlower)

Started by JT Atomico

0 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 04:41:15 AM
by JT Atomico
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #5 - South Seas vs New World / Mayflower

Started by Halfling

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 02:55:35 PM
by Halfling
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling