Author Topic: Problems with postimg.org domain  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Problems with postimg.org domain
« on: April 15, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »
So apparently postimg.org has stopped delivering hosted images from their .org domain and most of my images on Carcassonne Central (and indeed everything I've published everywhere over the past few years) have disappeared. I ran through all the images in this particular thread and updated the URLs, and it seems to have worked. However, I have no idea how long it's going to take to update everything I've ever posted.

I recall this coming up when Dan or Decar needed to make wholesale changes, an I can't remember if we thought there was any hope of a back-end solution. It's literally just one global replace for everybody who hosts on this service: change postimg.org to postimg.cc.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4011.0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:51:17 PM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with postimg.org domain
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
So apparently postimg.org has stopped delivering hosted images from their .org domain and most of my images on Carcassonne Central (and indeed everything I've published everywhere over the past few years) have disappeared. I ran through all the images in this particular thread and updated the URLs, and it seems to have worked. However, I have no idea how long it's going to take to update everything I've ever posted.

I recall this coming up when Dan or Decar needed to make wholesale changes, an I can't remember if we thought there was any hope of a back-end solution. It's literally just one global replace for everybody who hosts on this service: change postimg.org to postimg.cc.

I don't know if it's exactly the same, but it sounds very similar to the problem I had with my 3rd party image host which I described (and eventually solved) here. This might not be what you want to hear, but if the situation is the same, it may be time to consider a new host!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
I got a notification today that kettlefish had stickied this topic, which made me realize that all of the images were hidden thanks to postimg.org losing control of that domain. So I just updated all the links to point to postimg.cc, which fixed that. My apologies for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:38:41 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link added »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »

It can't be done automatically (except for some SQL statement, but it is dangerous), but you can find all your posts, which is linked to postimg.org just entering in search field "postimg.org" and probably your nickname to filter out only your messages.
Later I will fix all remaining bad links to .cc.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 07:04:38 AM »
Just saw this, yes Dan had to go through and search for all his photobucket images and manually edit all his posts.

Be warned, the CarcC search only yields so many results - and they are cached, so if you've been around as long as Dan, it might take a while to conduct a new search!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
In my case I decided it was best to download a copy of the database, then after about a day of manipulation I'd managed to produce a simple HTML file with a direct link to each of my posts requiring modification. I still had to go through them all one by one, but having the list made it much easier to approach it in a more structured fashion without missing anything.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:42:53 AM »
OK, I went through all 100+ posts with links to postimg.org and changed them to postimg.cc. Now it should be OK.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 06:17:35 AM »
Actually I did that with all of my posts a few days ago. If you found some of mine that were not updated, I wonder why the search feature didn't find them?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »
You have changed links in your posts, but in 2 or 3 posts there were more than one link, and you accidentally missed one link at the very bottom of the post.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
Hmm, that is why I kept running the search repeatedly until it did not find any more links. I am aware that the search is cached, so I would subtly change it each time to force it to run afresh, while still finding new, remaining links each time (it only reports the first one found on each page/thread, so when multiple posts had links it would take multiple searches to find them). So either something was wrong in my process or the search function is not as consistent as I have assumed it was.

FWIW, there were a few posts that had text references to posting.org that were not actually links. You're not counting those, I assume?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:41:33 AM by Just a Bill »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
FWIW, there were a few posts that had text references to posting.org that were not actually links. You're not counting those, I assume?
Of course, these didn't count. Checkbox "Show results as messages" helped a lot: I saw particular affected posts, not threads.
For example, I fixed last links in this, this and this posts.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
Good to know, and thanks for the help.

Offline Christianmocking

• Duke
  • Merit: 8
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
Goodluck guys

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Problems with WICA

Started by kheller2

32 Replies
Last post February 06, 2024, 01:55:15 PM
by Meles
xx
Anybody else having problems with Android app?

Started by EtherGnat

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2016, 01:22:07 AM
by Decar
xx
Problems Opening JCloisterZone

Started by ARabidMeerkat

25 Replies
Last post July 29, 2017, 07:20:21 PM
by Paul
xx
CarcC - forum problems