Author Topic: Carcassonne event 2020?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline GreyMeeple

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Carcassonne event 2020?
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Greetings to all.
My local board gameing club in Hereford hold an annual 12 hour Charity event to raise money for local Mental health Charities. This years was held on 18th May. We raised around £1,500.00.

At the event I hosted a Carcassonne table displaying my Carcassone collection and taught several peolpe the Noble Game and introducted others to new versions.

I have been asked by the leader of the club if I would like to host an 'Official' table at next years' event.

Has anyone any ideas how/what I can do? A tournament was suggested but these would require a lot of people willing to play and it could take over the day, overshadowing the other events.

I look forward to receiving suggestions.

Adrian

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4303.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne event 2020?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 02:40:32 AM »
Well done for organising.

Basically Wooden, who make Carcassonne accessories, are in Hereford so I’m sure you could incorporate them in some way if they weren’t already involved.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 03:20:43 AM »
Maybe Demo some of the spinoffs?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:33:46 AM »
Well done for organising.

Basically Wooden, who make Carcassonne accessories, are in Hereford so I’m sure you could incorporate them in some way if they weren’t already involved.

Nope, they moved to Devon before Christmas!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 08:47:53 AM »
Hi AdrianSutton.

It sounds as though you would have a mixture of new players and those that are already familiar with Carcassonne. Is that correct? If so, any kind of tournament might be a struggle as newer players won't enjoy competing against more experienced players and vice versa.

You could try doing meeple stacking, or meeple art (people make pictures out of meeples, although you'd need hundreds of them) as something to draw people in, and have a leaderboard for the meeple stacking and photo gallery of meeple arts produced.

Something else that is sometimes popular in Germany is "simultaneous Carcassonne" where a single player plays a series of head-to-head games against multiple opponents and just works his way down the line of tables, playing his move before going back to the start and working his way down again. You could offer a small prize to anyone who is able to win their game, and this might still be fun for those with less experience too.

If you contacted HiG and told them about your event, they may even send you something that you can give away as prizes. It might not be much, but it could still draw people in. Or if not, I'm sure I could get hold of a bunch of signed tiles or something if you're struggling.

If you charge a nominal amount to take part in any/ all of the events above and there is sufficient interest then it may add up to a worthwhile contribution to the overall total.

Good luck! And please let me know if I can help out with anything...

Offline GreyMeeple

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
Hi danisthirty,
 Thanks for you reply - I had been thinking of trying to complete a large self contained map using all my tiles. Having just added up all my official new edition Carcassonne editions (including Spiel Doch and 1 Essen 2018 tile) they come up to 413. With any luck there will be some new extention this year with an extra 7 tiles I could make a 21x20 tile layout. Not really playing the game but could make some publicity.

Offline gerasd

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 05:58:19 PM »
You did a great job. Mental illness is highly complex, and people who suffer from it should be helped.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Event in Carcassonne 10-11 September 2022

Started by Willem

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 02:11:03 AM
by Lobo
xx
2022 Carcassonne Anniversary event

Started by Linkarssonne (Linksux)

14 Replies
Last post October 03, 2021, 11:33:05 PM
by Meepledrone
lamp
When should the Carcassonne Central Chatroom Event be?

Started by Decar

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 05:16:17 AM
by Decar
clip
United Kingdom Carcassonne Central Meetup Event 2015

Started by Decar

90 Replies
Last post April 22, 2022, 04:29:48 AM
by Decar
xx
Advent Puzzle Event