Poll

How do you primarily use The Bazaars?

As an opportunity to obtain a much-needed tile.
5 (23.8%)
To deprive another player of a much-needed tile.
7 (33.3%)
I generally don't bid on Bazaar tiles and just get what is left.
3 (14.3%)
I use them in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
1 (4.8%)
I don't ever play with or don't own Bridges, Castles & Bazaars.
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 13, 2015, 09:59:52 PM

Author Topic: The Bazaars – Element of the Week #22  (Read 19247 times)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
Re: The Bazaars – Element of the Week #22
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
No, no. The lake is not the end. It goes underground from there on! Didn't you know?!  ;D

So Carcassonne is situated in a karst area, and the lakes are actually sink-holes. OK, why not.  :)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
Well, Carcassonne is anyway full of bizarre landscape, cities bridging over cities, etc. Nevertheless I prefer the river floating together rather than splitting up. (Not that I played it that way yet, but I will do so, once I got "River I" from CundCo.)

Sorry for being so much off-topic now, but having plenty of river tiles (1x River I, 2x River II, 2 tiles from GQ11, + tiles of unofficial expansions) we usually build a river which flows right to the edge of the table. These long rivers can look really spectacular sometimes. And of course more natural than those ending in a "sink-hole".  :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:31:11 PM by Leven »

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »
Apologies for the late response. I was the lone vote for, 'use them in some other creatively strategic manner'.

I’m sure, for the purists, our version of Carcassonne would drive them over the parapet! We have a some custom and modified rules for a few tile sets, (but not all). The Bazaar is one of them.

Just to preface and as mentioned before my primary Carc partner is my wife. Before I picked up the 10th anniversary tiles from Cundco we would use the Bazaar tiles with that rule set, (return a Meeple from play if desired).

I thought something you might see happen at a Bazaar is a table of old gents playing their light games of chance, usually with playing cards. I certainly know my uncle, who lives in small town old Italy, spends most of his afternoons with this innocuous activity as they watch Calcio, (Italian football).

OK, finally here it is, when the Bazaar feature is drawn the player has the option to play a game of chance (in place of taking a feature). If you choose this option you can bid up to as many points as you wish (this number is very arbitrary and can have a limit of whatever is agreed upon in advance). 

The game is played with the Flyer die, bid up to the point level you wish (say 5 points) and choose a die number between 1 & 3 as shown on the die face. If you number comes up you get double those points you bid, (so in this example 10 points). If your number doesn’t come up you lose the bid points off the score track.

We always include these tiles and I am usually the only one to take the odd chance.

That is our wacky way :)
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 04:14:14 AM »
@Leven - thanks so much for that great photo!  :(y) I'm just curious though, do you use that timer in your games as well?

@franks - that sounds like an interesting variation, and it doesn't disrupt the flow in the same way either. Thanks for sharing!  :(y)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
@Leven - thanks so much for that great photo!  :(y) I'm just curious though, do you use that timer in your games as well?

I'm dying to know what expansion that Knight holding the flag is from.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »
It looks like a "mighty knight" from "Cities and Knights of Catan".

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:01 AM »
It looks like a "mighty knight" from "Cities and Knights of Catan".

It is, indeed.
We played with the Horse expansion, but there was no chess set around, so we decided to use the knights of Catan as a substitute for the two horses. :)

I'm just curious though, do you use that timer in your games as well?

Yes, in a megacarc game we usually use it, just to ensure that the game won't last for ages. Because some of us (including me) tend to think too much before placing a tile.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:28:37 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:54:28 AM »
Bazaars are probably not my favourite expansion. It's a nice idea, adding a new element which at least works reasonably well, but it disrupts play, irritates players if they bid badly, and usually requires consulting of the rules at least once. That being said, you can always choose not to use these tiles when you don't fancy it, but retain the option to use them when you do. It's not a terrible mechanism (like some other expansions) and can be played quite well in a strategic game. I've played several games where we loved having the bazaar tiles. It was great having a choice of tiles and trying to bluff your way into making other players waste points. If the buying tiles mechanism hadn't been introduced by the publishers, I've little doubt that a similar expansion would have been created by a fan. Bazaars are never going to be a staple expansion that you never play without like Inns and Cathedrals, but being able to include it when the mood is upon you in certainly an addition to the game. I feel.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bazaars

Started by MrNumbers

28 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 01:18:01 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Rules about bazaars (Bridges, Castles and Bazaars)

Started by SxN

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2021, 02:13:23 AM
by Meepledrone
question
The Bazaars & The Messengers – Element Match-Ups #13

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post December 11, 2015, 01:19:07 PM
by kettlefish
question
The Bazaars & The Catapult – Element Match-Ups #16