Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVIII  (Read 23954 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVIII
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 07:00:54 AM »
Q24:
I didn't do a "spare bits giveaway" this year as I haven't got much in the way of spare bits left after 3 years of giving them all away! I did however give away a selection of tiles for both artwork editions that had been signed by Carcassonne's designer: Klaus-Jürgen Wrede 8). All of the tiles were claimed, but one lucky CarcC member was able to claim a signed river tile through this giveaway even though I didn't have one to give away to begin with! Who was this?

If you think you know who this was, please PM me with the answer - don't answer here!

This is the final question of the advent quiz! Thanks so much for taking part; I hope you've all enjoyed listening out for the questions and searching through the years activity to find the answers. I've got a couple of days off now, but intend to start posting the answers from the 27th Dec which should hopefully be enough time to go through them all with a question-by-question scores update before 2019 dawns on us, so stay tuned for that...

I wish you all a happy and peaceful Christmas and new year, and thanks for everything that everyone here has contributed throughout 2018.

Much love and respect,
Dan :blue-meeple: :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
Thanks again for a wonderful contest Dan!  Some tough questions this year, and most of the time the questions came through I was in the car, or making coffee!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
Thanks very much for the advent quiz again Dan, I do look forward to it (merit added). I hope you and fellow Carc C members have a lovely festive break and manage to get time for a game or two.  :red-meeple:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 07:37:06 AM »
Thank you Dan for the Advent Quiz!!!

Very intense 24 days  ;)

Merit from me included too.

Merry Christmas to you and all the people at CarcC!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:37:23 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
Thanks Dan for yet another great Advent quiz!
I've just sent in my final answer, and will probably not be first for any of them this year, as I noticed them late every day  ;D
Some good ones in there!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »
Thanks again Dan!  Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on the forum.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 12:52:47 PM »
Thanks for this awesome quiz, Dan. Merry Christmas to you and to all members.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »
Dan, Thanks for the quiz again this year. I loved it, I also like the questions
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 01:44:32 PM »
Many thanks, Dan, for making the time to put this together. Christmas wishes to you and your family.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2018, 06:33:08 AM »
Q10:
Who made a big announcement on the forums in October, by posting an image of two phantom cases and a red meeple standing on a Carcassonne landscape?

...and a doggo token.... don't forget the doggo!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2018, 07:42:10 AM »
Welcome back everyone! I hope you all had fun Christmases (more funerer than mine anyway as I spent most of the day in bed feeling sick and so missed out on my Christmas dinner :().

Thanks for all your messages saying how much you enjoyed the quiz. They're very much appreciated. And now I've finally finished faffing on sorting out the score updates, it's time to start revealing the answers... C:-)

Q1:
Many among those of us who play Carcassonne via the iOS app made a new friend in January. But who was it that first told us about "Frank", and how to unlock him?

I must have missed this at the time as I still haven't unlocked poor Frank. However, as taxing as I thought this question might be, nobody seemed to struggle with it and everyone posted the correct answer which was: CarcinFool (link)...

(winning response time was: 1m42s)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:56:18 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
Q2:
In the build-up to the 2018 Carcassonne world championships in October, one forum member in particular was keen to offer a golden meeple to one lucky children's football coach (I was never entirely sure why). Who was this?

I will admit that I was being a little bit sarcastic with this one as the forum member in question wasn't technically offering a golden meeple to a childrens football coach. He did bring up the topic of children's football coaches in the same thread though, so I hoped that I'd given you just enough information to discern that I was referring to LaplazadeCarcassonne (link) for this question...

(winning response time was: 3m54s)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:57:48 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »
Q3:
Back in March, four forum members met up for a day of gaming at a boardgame cafe in London called D20. Games played included Flamme Rouge, Habitats, Imhotep, Citadels, NMBR 9, Dice City, 7 Wonders and of course Carcassonne. Flamme Rouge, NMBR 9 and Imhotep were entirely new to me, and while I wasn't entirely convinced by Flamme Rouge or NMBR 9 I did particularly enjoy Imhotep. With a string of last-place finishes behind (and in front of) me, it was no surprise that I finished fourth in Imhotep, but who won?

I had to double-check this when I re-discovered that this great day of boardgaming was earlier this year as it already feels like such a long time ago with all that snow, losing at almost every game, Decar conning Rich_The_Fish out of letting me win at Carcassonne, and then being made to wait for my small plate of biscuits as my blood sugar rapidly sank to new lows. Still, spending the day in the company of some great friends, and jungleboy, was very special indeed and I'm hopeful that we'll be able to repeat it all again soon. Although I might bring my own biscuits next time.

Anyway. Who won at Imhotep? It certainly wasn't me. It was: Rich_The_Fish (link)...

(winning response time was: 1m5s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »
Q4:
In September we had a discussion around which single items are treasured enough to be given pride of place in our respective Carcassonne collections. It was a tough choice for many of us with so many special things to choose from, but one forum member in particular chose his prize from the 2016 Advent Quiz (signed moustache tile) as his most prized possession. Who was this?

And a very insightful discussion it was too!

There were a lot of things I could have picked out from this thread. Another comment which stood out was from MrNumbers and is repeated below as it's something I remind myself of when it feels like things aren't going my way during games of Carcassonne:

I would save my diploma for 6th place in Carcassonne World championship'2016. It is very special to me and will always remind me that you should concentrate on a game till the very end.

Few of us have any diplomas/ certificates from any world championships though, so who was happy to settle on a signed British Moustaches tile as his favourite item? The answer I was looking for was: Squiffything (link) ...

(winning response time was: 42s :o)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »
Q5:
When a newish forum member posted in June to seek advice on how to remove a dot made by a marker on the back of one of his tiles, there were many suggestions of varying degrees of usefulness. However, the most useless (albeit innovative) of all of these suggestions was to make a similar ink dot on the remaining 71 tiles! ::) Who suggested this?

Perhaps it was harsh of me to say that his advice was useless. I'm sure Halfling (link) was just doing his best to help a fellow CarcC member in distress. And who knows? Maybe these new "dotted" tiles could become the basis of a whole new expansion or artwork edition? At least we'll know who to blame if they do! >:(

(winning response time was: 2m51s)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz

Started by danisthirty

93 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 11:15:42 AM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII

Started by danisthirty

104 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 07:56:46 AM
by Rich_The_Fish
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXI

Started by Meepledrone

223 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 02:20:34 PM
by Bumsakalaka
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXIX

Started by Meepledrone

151 Replies
Last post October 29, 2021, 08:41:39 AM
by Bumsakalaka